December 20, 2010
As a Land Acquisitions guy, I spend countless hours analyzing Multiple Listing Service (MLS) data, researching community plans, and driving around trying to identify different emerging neighborhoods in Metro Vancouver. Some of the key things we look for are schools, area amenities and upcoming community plans. In my opinion, some areas to watch are:
1. Alexandra (Richmond) – Hot developing neighbourhood already with an established elementary school. A future high street village is in the works, with restaurants, café and shopping.
2. Yorkson (Langley) – This area will be serviced by a brand new elementary school ready by Sept 2012 and is located down the road from the 260,000 square-foot Langley Events Centre, which includes an arena bowl, gyms, banquet halls, etc.
3. Central Lonsdale (North Vancouver) – Minutes to nature via Grouse Mountain or down the hill to the waterfront at the Lonsdale Quay, and just steps to shopping and restaurants. Swim, skate, play at the Harry Jerome Community Rec Centre. Or jump on Highway1 up to Whistler or out to the Fraser Valley. Central Lonsdale is truly at the centre of it all.
4. Coquitlam Centre (Coquitlam) – Where to start... Coquitlam Centre's 200 stores, the enormous Town Centre Park and the award-winning Westwood Plateau Golf and Country Club… the Evergreen Line Rapid Transit coming soon to your doorstep... top-ranked Pinetree Secondary, Douglas College, or the Evergreen Cultural Centre. Need I say more?
5. UBC (Vancouver) – Have you driven out to UBC lately? If not, I bet you won’t recognize it anymore. There is a new residential urban village with homes, shopping and parks. In addition, funding is in place for the new University Hill Elementary and Secondary Schools.
These are just a few of the areas on my radar. I encourage you to get in your car and drive around one weekend; I think you will be amazed to see how much is changing in the Lower Mainland.