As a new homeowner at a Polygon community, there are often questions that you may have prior to moving in or once you have moved in. Here are a few of the frequently asked questions to our customer service team.

Who do I contact if I have a question about my home or am looking for service?

It really depends if the service request is for a problem inside or outside of your home, and if it’s still within the warranty period. The warranty covers issues that are considered a defect in manufacturer materials or installation for a specific amount of time after the owner takes possession. Your Property Manager is responsible for arranging for any maintenance and warranty repairs on the exterior and common property. For all issues inside your home, you will need to contact Polygon Customer Service at 604-877-1751 or email

What is the difference between Polygon, the Strata, and the Property Manager?

A Polygon home is built by one of Polygon’s family of companies, a contract management company, which also initially hires the Property Manager.

The Strata is a council made up of owners who are voted in by other homeowners at your building/community during your first general meeting. They are responsible for performing the duties of the strata corporation, including the enforcement of bylaws and rules of the Strata Property Act.

The property manager is hired to look after the administration, maintenance and repairs on the common property once you have moved in.

Once the home is completed and new homeowners have moved in, the Strata is formed and the Property Management Company now works for the newly formed Strata council.

Do I need insurance?

As a new homeowner, there are typically three types of insurance you should be aware of once you’ve purchased your new apartment or townhome: strata/building insurance, homeowner’s insurance and tenant’s insurance.

Strata insurance only covers damage outside of your apartment or townhome, so for protection inside your home, you’ll have to think about home and contents insurance.

Basic home insurance generally provides coverage for earthquake, flood, fire, theft, windstorms, water damage, and strata assessments. Very often insurance companies provide add-ons to basic insurance so assess your risk and purchase insurance accordingly.

As a tenant, you are not covered under your landlord’s home insurance and are liable for the apartment or townhome and the building during your occupancy. Your landlord could ask for proof of rental or contents insurance in order to rent out the property.

There are several companies that sell various types of insurance, so be sure to do your research, talk to your local expert and shop around before buying home insurance, as you really want to protect the most valuable asset you own.

What should I do if I smell gas inside my home?

The smell of gas is like rotten eggs. This smell has been intentionally added to the gas to make it detectable. If you smell gas, do not touch anything. Contact Fortis BC at 1-800-663-9911 for 24 hour emergency service. Fortis BC will detect any leaks, mark the location, and turn off the gas if necessary until the leak can be repaired.

Who should I contact if I have a problem with my hydro bill?

BC Hydro should be your first call to investigate the charges on your bill as they will be able to better access your rates, and time of consumption. You can contact BC Hydro by calling 604-224-9376, or 1-800-224-9376 if you live outside the Greater Vancouver Area.

Where can I find out the trash and recycling collection schedule?

This information can be found through your local city website or through your property or resident manager.

Who do I contact if I want to book the party room or clubhouse?

Most Polygon communities have a common lounge, great room or clubhouse, which is a great space to host a large gathering of friends or family. If you are interested in booking this space for any function, you will need to contact your resident manager, caretaker or property manager. There is usually a small booking fee to reserve the room.

How can I reach Polygon Customer Service?

You can call our customer service hotline, Monday – Friday from 8:30am - 5pm at 604-877-1751 or email us at For urgent inquiries outside these hours, please call 604-681-4357.